Monday, May 27, 2013

Ringo does the Royal Flower Show

Ringo's still in touch with his inner Beatle: note the Mao/Beatle jacket, Maharishi garland, and 60s Peace sign.  Rock on!

From a report in the Coventry Telegraph:

"Chelsea Flower Show [held in the grounds of the Royal Hospital, in Chelsea, London] is celebrating its centenary year - and has even lifted its ban on gnomes to mark the occasion."

"Former Beatle Ringo Starr posed wearing a garland of flowers at a garden promoting the work of charity WaterAid, which gives people in poor countries access to clean water.

"I'd like to congratulate Chelsea, 100 years and I've been here from the first year," he joked.

He said he had been coming for a number of years. I used to come just to enjoy it and look at it, now I come to be of some use, promoting WaterAid.
"The idea that blew me away was that people don't have water."
He said the charity was helping thousands of people, including children who were dying every day because they did not have clean water.
He said he loved the Chelsea Flower Show and all the gardens, and he would like to see the gnomes.
Asked if he played music to his plants to help them grow, he said: "I've been known to talk to them but I've not got my drums out."
And he said that rather than getting his hands dirty, he was "big at talking to my gardeners"."


The ageless Joanna Lumley was there too - was she a little posy?

No comments:

Post a Comment